- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 122
- Fat Content: 4g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2g
- Carbohydrate Content: 19g
- Sugar Content: 12g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 2g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
Amazing chocolate cupcakes
- plain-flour - 100g plain flour
- cocoa-powder - 20g cocoa powder
- caster-sugar - 140g caster sugar
- baking-powder - 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- unsalted-butter - 40g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- whole-milk - 120ml whole milk
- egg - 1 egg
- vanilla-extract - 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- buttercream - buttercream, see our recipes for chocolate or plain
- chocolate-vermicelli - chocolate vermicelli (optional)
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, a pinch of salt and the butter in a free-standing electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk). Beat on a slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
- Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a jug, then slowly pour about half into the flour mixture. Beat to combine and turn the mixer up to high speed, scraping any mixture from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Pour in the remaining liquid and continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until approximately two-thirds full. Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Meanwhile, makechocolate buttercreamorplain buttercreamand spread it over the cakes with a palette knife, or use a piping bag. Scatter over chocolate vermicelli, if you like.
School holiday recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has plain flour, cocoa powder, caster sugar, baking powder, unsalted butter, whole milk, egg, vanilla extract, buttercream and chocolate vermicelli.