- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 534
- Fat Content: 33g
- Saturated Fat Content: 19g
- Carbohydrate Content: 53g
- Sugar Content: 43g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Sodium Content: 0.4g
Apple, cream & spiced rye crumble pots
- apple - 4 cooking apples
- caster-sugar - 6 tbsp caster sugar
- butter - 50g unsalted butter
- breadcrumbs - 100g brown breadcrumbs
- soft-light-brown-sugar - 100g soft light brown sugar
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- cardamom - ground cardamom from 8 cardamom pods
- rye-breadcrumbs - 100g rye breadcrumbs
- whipping-cream - 500ml whipping cream
- icing-sugar - 5 tbsp icing sugar (or add to taste)
- lemon - good squeeze of lemon
- aquavit - 2 tbsp aquavit (optional), or to taste
- hazelnut - 2 tbsp blanched hazelnuts, halved and toasted
- Peel and core the apples and cut the flesh into chunks. Put these in a large saucepan with the caster sugar and 3 tbsp water and cook over a gentle heat until the apples are completely tender. Stir every so often and mash the fruit down roughly with the back of a wooden spoon. The finished puree shouldn't be too wet - if it is, simmer it over a low heat until it reduces and loses some of its moisture.
- Check the apples for sweetness - they shouldn't be too sweet as it's being mixed with sweet cream and breadcrumbs - and tip into a bowl to cool. In Scandinavia, the stewed apples are usually pureed until smooth, but you can also keep them chunky.
- Melt half the butter in a frying pan and add the brown breadcrumbs and half the brown sugar. Saute, stirring constantly, over a medium heat until the breadcrumbs are golden. Add half the cinnamon and half the cardamom and continue to cook for about 1 min. Spread out on a tray - it cools quicker this way - and leave until it's room temperature. Do the same with the rye breadcrumbs, then mix the breadcrumbs together in a bowl.
- Whip the cream, adding the icing sugar and the lemon (add the lemon before the cream is too thick as the acid in the lemon has a thickening effect). If you are going to add the aquavit, do it once the cream has been whipped.
- Layer the apples, breadcrumbs and whipped cream in a glass bowl (so you can see the layers) starting with the stewed apples and ending with a layer of cream. Scatter over the hazelnuts just before serving.
New Year’s Eve recipe for 8 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has apple, caster sugar, butter, breadcrumbs, soft light brown sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, rye breadcrumbs, whipping cream, icing sugar, lemon, aquavit and hazelnut.Add to Favourites