- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 226
- Fat Content: 9g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 32g
- Sugar Content: 9g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 5g
- Sodium Content: 0.56g
Apple muffins with pecan topping
- plain-flour - 350g plain flour
- butter - 25g butter
- dark-muscovado-sugar - 50g dark muscovado sugar, plus 1 tbsp extra for the topping
- pecan - 50g pecan, chopped
- baking-powder - 2 tsp baking powder
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- cinnamon - 1 tsp cinnamon
- soured-cream - 284ml tub soured cream
- egg - 1 egg, beaten
- apple - 3 eating apples (about 140g/50z each), peeled and cored
- milk - 2-3 tbsp milk
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Line a muffin tin with muffin cases. In a small bowl, use your fingertips to rub 50g of the flour together with the butter to make breadcrumbs. Stir through 1 tbsp sugar and the chopped pecans, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the remaining flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt, then stir in the sugar and cinnamon and set aside. Coarsely grate two of the apples, then beat together with the soured cream, egg and 2 tbsp milk. Make a well in the dry ingredients and quickly fold through the wet ingredients, adding an extra tbsp milk if really dry. Don't over-mix or your muffins will be tough. It doesn't matter if there are lumps of flour.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases - they should be about two-thirds full - then sprinkle over the pecan topping. Thinly slice the final apple, then poke slices into the tops of the muffins. Bake for 20 mins or until risen, golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Muffin recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has plain flour, butter, dark muscovado sugar, pecan, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, soured cream, egg, apple and milk.