- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 5
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 445
- Fat Content: 24g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 14g
- Sugar Content: 10g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 42g
- Sodium Content: 0.5g
Asian chicken, mandarin & cashew salad
- chicken - 1 ready-roasted chicken
- mandarin-segment - 295g can mandarin segment in juice (not syrup)
- red-onion - 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- red-pepper - 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- red-cabbage - 1 fist-sized chunk red cabbage
- cashew - 100g toasted salted cashew
- watercress - 60g watercress, rocket & spinach salad
- sesame-seed - 2 tbsp toasted sesame seed
- sesame-oil - 1 tbsp sesame oil
- mandarin - 4 tbsp mandarin juice from the can
- rice-wine-vinegar - 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- xanthan-gum - 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (if you have it)
- Remove the skin from the chicken and discard, then shred the meat from the bones. Discard the carcass (or freeze for stock or soup another time, see right).
- Drain the mandarin segments over a bowl to catch the juice, then whisk together with the sesame oil and vinegar. If you're using xanthan gum, put this in a bowl and, using a small sauce whisk, whisk in 1 tsp of the dressing at a time until you have a smooth, runny paste, then whisk in the remaining dressing.
- Layer the shredded chicken, mandarin segments, red onion, pepper, cabbage, salad leaves and sesame seeds in a big salad bowl or on a platter. Pour over the dressing, toss to combine then serve.
Chicken salad recipe for 5 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has chicken, mandarin segment, red onion, red pepper, red cabbage, cashew, watercress, sesame seed, sesame oil, mandarin, rice wine vinegar and xanthan gum.