- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 786
- Fat Content: 32g
- Saturated Fat Content: 17g
- Carbohydrate Content: 105g
- Sugar Content: 20g
- Fiber Content: 11g
- Protein Content: 15g
- Sodium Content: 0.3g
Aubergine katsu curry
- plain-flour - 4 tbsp plain flour
- aubergine - 2 aubergines, sliced into 1/2 cm discs
- breadcrumb - 100g dried breadcrumbs (see tip, below left, for how to make your own to save money)
- vegetable-oil - 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- basmati-rice - 250g basmati rice
- onion - 1 large onion, finely chopped
- garlic-clove - 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- curry-powder - 3 tbsp curry powder
- clear-honey - 2 tbsp clear honey
- coconut-milk - 400ml can coconut milk
- cucumber - 1 large cucumber
- In a large bowl, combine 3 tbsp flour and enough water to make a runny paste, then season and add the aubergines, tossing until they are all coated. Tip the breadcrumbs onto a plate and dip in each aubergine slice, turning to coat and pressing down to help the crumbs stick.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan. Cook the aubergine slices in batches for 5 mins each side or until tender, adding a little more oil between batches. Transfer the slices to a baking tray as you go. Once all the aubergine slices are browned, place the tray in the oven and cook for 10-15 mins while you make the sauce. Cook the rice following pack instructions.
- Wipe out the pan and heat another drizzle of oil. Add the onion and cook for a few mins to soften. Stir in the garlic and curry powder for 1 min, then add the remaining 1 tbsp flour and the honey, and stir to a paste. Splash in the coconut milk, a little at a time, stirring to make a smooth sauce, then simmer over a low heat for 10 mins, adding a splash of water if it gets too thick. Peel the cucumber into long strips with a peeler. Drain the rice and serve with the crispy aubergine slices, curry sauce and cucumber ribbons.
Japanese recipe for 4 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has plain flour, aubergine, breadcrumb, vegetable oil, basmati rice, onion, garlic clove, curry powder, clear honey, coconut milk and cucumber.