- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 1009
- Fat Content: 64g
- Saturated Fat Content: 26g
- Carbohydrate Content: 39g
- Sugar Content: 19g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 67g
- Sodium Content: 4.2g
Aussie burgers with the lot
- minced-beef - 1 1/2 kg minced beef, not lean
- red-onion - 2 red onions, finely chopped
- garlic-clove - 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- parsley - large handful of parsley, chopped
- tomato-ketchup - 75ml tomato ketchup
- oyster-sauce - 50ml oyster sauce
- egg-yolk - 2 egg yolks
- back-bacon - 6 smoked back bacon rashers
- pineapple - 6 slices fresh pineapple
- cheese - 6 slices good melting cheese, such as cheddar
- bap - 6 burger baps, split in half
- mayonnaise - 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- beetroot - 12 slices pickled beetroot
- tomato - 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- cos-lettuce - 1 Cos lettuce, separated into leaves
- To make the burgers, mix together all the ingredients and knead well so everything is thoroughly mixed. Separate the mix into 6, roll each into a large ball, then shape into burgers (see photos, right). Put them in the fridge and, if possible, leave to chill for at least 1 hr. They can be made up to 2 days ahead.
- To cook the burgers, get the barbecue good and hot with the coals glowing. You don't need to add any oil to the burgers. Put them on the barbecue and leave for a few mins until the edges start to colour, then slide a fish slice under the burgers and turn over. Repeat the process, then turn again. Remove to the cooler side of the barbecue and leave to cook for a good 15 mins if you like them well cooked.
- While the burgers are cooking, BBQ the bacon and pineapple. Top the burgers with the bacon, then add the cheese and put back on the barbecue to melt. Warm the baps over the barbecue, too, if you like.
- Divide the mayo between the bap bases and top with the burgers. Add the pineapple, beetroot, tomato and lettuce, then put the lids on top.
Holiday-at-home recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has minced beef, red onion, garlic clove, parsley, tomato ketchup, oyster sauce, egg yolk, back bacon, pineapple, cheese, bap, mayonnaise, beetroot, tomato and cos lettuce.