- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 277
- Fat Content: 19g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7g
- Carbohydrate Content: 19g
- Sugar Content: 1g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 8g
- Sodium Content: 1.3g
Bacon & egg pies
- oil - little oil, for the tin
- shortcrust-pastry - 500g pack all-butter shortcrust pastry
- flour - little flour, for dusting
- butter - good knob of butter
- onion - 1 small onion, finely chopped
- back-bacon - 8 rashers back bacon, trimmed of any fat and diced
- mace - 1/2 tsp ground mace
- large-egg - 2 large eggs
- creme-fraiche - 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- quail-egg - 12 quail eggs
- poppy-seed - few pinches poppy seeds
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Grease each hole of a 12-hole muffin tin, then line each with a long strip of baking parchment. Roll out two-thirds of the pastry on a lightly floured surface and stamp out 12 x 10-11cm circles (you may need to re-roll trimmings). Press a circle into each hole to line. Wrap the remaining pastry in cling film.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the onion and bacon until the onion is softened and the bacon crisping and browning. Stir in the mace for 1 min, then transfer to a bowl to cool for 5 mins. Stir in 1 egg and the creme fraiche with plenty of seasoning. Divide mixture between the holes and press down firmly with the back of a spoon to make a dip in the middle. Crack 1 quail's egg into each hole, then season lightly. Beat the remaining egg, then brush over the edges of the pastry.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and stamp out 12 x 6-7cm circles. Add a top to each pie, carefully pressing pastry edges together to seal - don't let the egg escape. Brush with remaining egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake for 25-30 mins until golden. Cool in the tin, then carefully lift out using the parchment strips to help.
Picnic recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has oil, shortcrust pastry, flour, butter, onion, back bacon, mace, large egg, crème fraîche, quail egg and poppy seed.