- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 2
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 447
- Fat Content: 25g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 30g
- Sugar Content: 7g
- Fiber Content: 14g
- Protein Content: 19g
- Sodium Content: 0.4g
Baked falafel & cauliflower tabbouleh, green tahini sauce & charred spring onions
- chickpeas - 400g can chickpeas, drained (or 85g dried chickpeas soaked in 500ml cold water overnight, then drained)
- cumin - 1 tsp ground cumin
- coriander - 1 tsp ground coriander
- cayenne-pepper - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- red-onion - 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- sesame-seeds - 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- baking-powder - 1/2 tsp baking powder (gluten free if you like)
- parsley - small bunch parsley, stalks and leaves separated, leaves chopped
- olive-oil - 1 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tsp
- cauliflower - 1/2 small cauliflower, cut into florets
- mint - 1/2 small bunch mint, leaves chopped
- lemon - 1 lemon, juiced
- spring-onion - 6 spring onions, kept whole, topped and tailed
- rocket - handful rocket
- coriander - 1/2 small bunch coriander, stalks and all
- tahini - 2 tbsp tahini
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Tip the chickpeas, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp ground coriander, cayenne pepper, red onion, 1 garlic clove, sesame seeds, baking powder, parsley stalks and 1/2 tbsp water into afood processor. Blitz until everything is combined but not mushy - you want the falafel to have some texture, rather than being like hummus. Season to taste, then roll into 18 even-sized balls. Flatten each ball into a disc shape and put them on the baking sheet (the more surface area the crisper they will become). Brush them with 1/2 tbsp oil. Bake for 20 mins, turning halfway, until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, clean out the food processor. Briefly pulse the cauliflower until you have a 'couscous' consistency. Mix the cauliflower with the remaining ground spices, 1/2 tbsp olive oil and seasoning. Tip onto a baking tray and roast for 10-12 mins, stirring occasionally, until slightly toasted. Once cool, mix through the chopped parsley, mint and half the lemon juice. Season to taste.
- Heat the grill to high (this can be done the night before, if you like). Brush the spring onions with 1 tsp oil, season, then grill until soft and charred for around 5 mins, turning halfway.
- Meanwhile, blitz the rocket, coriander, remaining garlic, lemon juice and 1 tbsp water together in a food processor until bright green. Put the tahini in a bowl, then gradually whisk in the herby water until the tahini loosens to a sauce consistency. Season to taste.
- Divide the green tahini and spring onions between the baked falafel and tabbouleh in bowls.
Healthy vegan recipe for 2 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has chickpeas, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, red onion, garlic clove, sesame seeds, baking powder, parsley, olive oil, cauliflower, mint, lemon, spring onion, rocket, coriander and tahini.