- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 457
- Fat Content: 12g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 53g
- Sugar Content: 12g
- Fiber Content: 17g
- Protein Content: 26g
- Sodium Content: 0.6g
Balsamic lentil pies with vegetable mash
- rapeseed-oil - 2 tbsp rapeseed oil, plus a drop extra
- red-onions - 4 red onions, thinly sliced
- puy-lentils - 200g Puy lentils
- rosemary - 2 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- vegetable-bouillon-powder - 1 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
- balsamic-vinegar - 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- celeriac - 350g peeled and diced celeriac
- swede - 350g peeled and diced swede
- potato - 350g peeled and diced potato
- broccoli - 2 x 160g broccoli
- spinach - 2 x 160g spinach
- vegetarian-italian-style-hard-cheese - 50g vegetarian Italian-style hard cheese, finely grated
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the onions for 8 mins until softened and golden. Put a full kettle on to boil. Stir the lentils, rosemary, bouillon and balsamic vinegar into the onions, pour in 1 litre boiling water and simmer for 35-40 mins until the lentils are soft but still have some bite.
- Meanwhile, steam or boil the root veg for 25 mins and half the broccoli for 12-15 mins. Wilt half the spinach for 2 mins in a hot pan with a drop of oil.
- Mash the root veg with a hand blender or masher. Spoon the lentils into four individual pie dishes, top with the mash, then scatter over the cheese. While they're still hot, grill two pies to melt the cheese and serve with the cooked green veg. Chill the rest until needed.Will keep for three days in the fridge.To reheat the pies, bake in the oven at 180C/160C fan/gas 4 for 35 mins. Cook the rest of the green veg (as above) to serve alongside.
Vegetarian main course recipe for 4 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has rapeseed oil, red onions, puy lentils, rosemary, vegetable bouillon powder, balsamic vinegar, celeriac, swede, potato, broccoli, spinach and vegetarian italian-style hard cheese.