- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 374
- Fat Content: 21g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4g
- Carbohydrate Content: 21g
- Sugar Content: 11g
- Fiber Content: 7g
- Protein Content: 26g
- Sodium Content: 0.4g
Barbecued squid salad
- squid - 800g fresh prepared squid
- lime - zest 3 limes (reserve the juice for the salad, and wedges, to serve)
- extra-virgin-olive-oil - 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- garlic-clove - 3 garlic cloves, smashed flat
- peppercorn - 1 1/2 tsp mixed peppercorn, crushed
- red-onion - 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- mango - 1 large mango, cut into small chunks
- red-chilli - 1 large red chilli, finely shredded (deseeded if you don't like it too hot)
- black-bean - 400g can black bean, well rinsed then patted dry
- avocado - 3 ripe avocados
- coriander - small pack coriander, leaves only, torn
- extra-virgin-olive-oil - extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Heat the barbecue. Meanwhile, marinate the squid for at least 30 mins, or up to 4 hrs. First, slash the squid tubes all over at 5mm-1cm intervals on each side, cutting through most of the flesh but leaving the sides intact. If there are any particularly large tubes, cut them in half width-ways. Put into a non-metallic bowl with the other squid ingredients and leave to marinate.
- For the salad, toss the onion, mango and chilli with the lime juice (from the limes used for the squid) and a pinch of salt and leave for at least 10 mins, or until the onion turns pink. Add the beans to one side of the bowl.
- Halve, stone and scoop the avocado into the salad bowl, then add plenty of seasoning and season the squid with sea salt.
- When the barbecue is ready, barbecue the squid tubes and tentacles for no more than 11/2 mins in total - the flesh should just change from greyish to opaque and shrink up into a spiral shape where you've made your cuts. Toss the salad ingredients together very roughly, pile onto a platter and top with the hot squid and coriander. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve with lime wedges on the side.
Healthy salad recipe for 6 people, takes only 5 mins; recipe has squid, lime, extra virgin olive oil, garlic clove, peppercorn, red onion, mango, red chilli, black bean, avocado, coriander and extra virgin olive oil.