- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 2
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 378
- Fat Content: 14g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 49g
- Sugar Content: 5g
- Fiber Content: 7g
- Protein Content: 11g
- Sodium Content: 0.1g
Barley & broccoli risotto with lemon & basil
- pearl-barley - 100g wholegrain pearl barley
- vegetable-bouillon - 2 tsp reduced-salt vegetable bouillon powder
- rapeseed-oil - 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- leek - 1 large leek, chopped
- garlic-cloves - 2 garlic cloves
- basil - 2/3 pack basil
- lemon - generous squeeze of lemon juice
- broccoli - 125g Tenderstem broccoli from a 200g pack
- Pour a litre of cold water over the barley, cover and leave to soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the barley, reserve the liquid and use it to make 500ml vegetable bouillon. Heat half the oil in a non-stick pan, add the leek and cook briefly to soften. Tip half into a bowl, then add the barley and bouillon to the pan, cover and simmer for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, add the garlic, basil, remaining oil, the lemon juice and 3 tbsp water to the leeks in the bowl, and blitz to a paste with a stick blender
- When the barley has cooked for 20 mins, add the broccoli to the pan and cook for 5-10 mins more until both are tender. Stir in the basil puree, heat very briefly (to retain the fragrance), then spoon into bowls to serve.
400 calorie meal recipe for 2 people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has pearl barley, vegetable bouillon, rapeseed oil, leek, garlic cloves, basil, lemon and broccoli.