- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 290
- Fat Content: 9g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 41g
- Sugar Content: 5g
- Fiber Content: 7g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 0g
Barley & bulgur chopped herb salad
- pearl-barley - 150g pearl barley
- bulgur-wheat - 150g bulgur wheat
- olive-oil - 3 tbsp olive oil
- onion - 3 white onions, halved and sliced
- garlic-cloves - 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- ground-cloves - 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- parsley - small bunch of parsley
- dill - small bunch of dill
- mint - small bunch of mint
- cucumber - 1/2 cucumber, finely chopped
- tomatoes - 4 tomatoes, finely chopped
- lemon - 2 lemons, juiced
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the barley. Cover and cook for 25 mins, or until tender. Meanwhile, pour boiling water over the bulgur wheat to just cover, and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and add the onions. Cook for 20-25 mins, stirring regularly, until golden and caramelised. Stir in the garlic and cloves for 30 secs.
- Drain the barley and bulgur well and tip into a bowl. Add the remaining oil, the onions, and plenty of seasoning. Mix well and chill until you're ready to serve (up to 24 hrs ahead is fine, or at least 1 hr). Remove from the fridge 30 mins before you want to serve.
- Toss through the remaining ingredients and serve on a large platter or in a bowl.
Healthy picnic recipe for 6 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has pearl barley, bulgur wheat, olive oil, onion, garlic cloves, ground cloves, parsley, dill, mint, cucumber, tomatoes and lemon.Add to Favourites