- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 205
- Fat Content: 9g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2g
- Carbohydrate Content: 28g
- Sugar Content: 13g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 3g
- Sodium Content: 0.5g
Basic muffin recipe
- eggs - 2 medium eggs
- vegetable-oil - 125ml vegetable oil
- milk - 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- golden-caster-sugar - 250g golden caster sugar
- self-raising-flour - 400g self-raising flour (or same quantity plain flour and 3 tsp baking powder)
- salt - 1 tsp salt
- chocolate-chips - 100g chocolate chips or dried fruit such as sultanas or dried cherries (optional)
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Line 2 muffin trays with paper muffin cases. In a large bowl beat 2 medium eggs lightly with a handheld electric mixer for 1 min.
- Add 125ml vegetable oil and 250ml semi-skimmed milk and beat until just combined then add 250g golden caster sugar and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Sift in 400g self-raising flour and 1 tsp salt (or 400g plain flour and 3 tsp baking powder if using) then mix until just smooth. Be careful not to over-mix the batter as this will make the muffins tough.
- Stir in 100g chocolate chips or dried fruit if using.
- Fill muffin cases two-thirds full and bake for 20-25 mins, until risen, firm to the touch and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. If the trays will not fit on 1 shelf, swap the shelves around after 15 mins of cooking.
- Leave the muffins in the tin to cool for a few mins and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Muffin recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has eggs, vegetable oil, milk, golden caster sugar, self-raising flour, salt and chocolate chips.