- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 803
- Fat Content: 48g
- Saturated Fat Content: 24g
- Carbohydrate Content: 70g
- Sugar Content: 8g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 21g
- Sodium Content: 2.4g
Beef & pickle pasties
- skirt - 500g pack beef skirt or chuck steak, finely chopped
- onion - 2 onions, chopped
- potato - 2 medium potatoes, halved lengthways and sliced
- swede - 250g swede, diced
- pickle - 8 tbsp pickle
- butter - 200g butter, diced
- lard - 100g lard, diced
- plain-flour - 600g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- large-egg - 1 large egg, beaten with 2 tbsp milk
- To make the pastry, rub the butter, lard and 1 tsp salt into the flour with your fingertips, or mix in a food processor. Blend in 8 tbsp cold water to make a firm dough. Cut into 8, cover with cling film and chill for 20 mins.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Mix together the beef, onions, potatoes, swede, 1 tbsp black pepper and 1 tsp salt. Roll out each piece of dough on a lightly floured surface to make a round about 20cm across. Use a plate or base of a cake tin to trim the shape.
- Pack an eighth of the beef mixture down the centre of each pastry round, leaving a margin at each end, then top with a good spoonful of pickle. Brush all round the edges of the pastry with some of the beaten egg, then carefully draw up the pastry on each side so that it meets at the top, and pinch together to seal.
- Lift the pasties onto 2 non-stick baking sheets, brush with egg and bake for 10 mins. Then reduce oven to 180C/ 160C fan/gas 4 and bake for a further 45-55 mins until golden.
Batch cooking recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 5 mins; recipe has skirt, onion, potato, swede, pickle, butter, lard, plain flour and large egg.Add to Favourites