- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 6 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 396
- Fat Content: 20g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 9g
- Sugar Content: 8g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 34g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
- beef - 1.2kg beef shin, cut into chunks
- olive-oil - 4-5 tbsp olive oil
- onion - 2 onions, finely chopped
- carrot - 3 carrots, finely chopped
- celery - 4 celery sticks, finely chopped
- garlic - 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- tomato-puree - 3 tbsp tomato puree
- red-wine - 400ml red wine
- rosemary-sprigs - 2 rosemary sprigs
- bay-leaves - 2 bay leaves
- tomatoes - 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- beef-stock - 500ml beef stock
- parmesan - parmesan, grated, and pappardelle (see 'Goes well with', below), to serve
- Heat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3 and season the beef all over. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a flameproofcasseroleover a medium-high heat and brown the beef until dark, about 15 mins, in batches if you need to, using 1 tbsp oil for each batch. Drain the beef in a colander to remove the fat while you cook the rest.
- Wipe out the pan with kitchen paper, then add about 2 tbsp oil, the onions, carrots, celery and garlic with a pinch of salt and cook for 8-10 mins over a low-medium heat. Stir in the tomato puree and cook for a further 3 mins. Add the wine, herbs, tomatoes and stock, season and bring to the boil, stir the beef back into the sauce and reduce to a simmer. Cover and put in the oven for 2 hrs 30 mins, then remove the lid, stir and put back in the oven, uncovered, for 30 mins. Stir or use a fork to roughly shred the beef, and season. Serve now, or chill until serving - it tastes better if made a day ahead.
- When ready to serve, gently reheat the ragout over a medium heat. Cook the pasta in a large pan of salted water for 3 mins, drain then tip into the ragout, toss together with some of the parmesan and leave for 1 min. Ladle the pasta into bowls, scatter over the remaining parmesan and serve.
Pasta recipe for 6-8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has beef, olive oil, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, tomato purée, red wine, rosemary sprigs, bay leaves, tomatoes, beef stock and parmesan.