- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 457
- Fat Content: 22g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 34g
- Sugar Content: 2g
- Fiber Content: 11g
- Protein Content: 26g
- Sodium Content: 0.5g
Beef skewers with chimichurri rice salad
- cumin-seed - 2 tsp cumin seeds
- lime - juice and zest 2 limes, plus wedges to serve
- sirloin-steak - 3 sirloin steaks or rump steak, fat trimmed, cut into long strips
- long-grain-rice - 200g long grain rice or wild rice mix
- black-beans - 2 x 400g cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- shallot - 3 shallots, finely diced
- avocado - 2 ripe avocados, chopped into small chunks
- greek-yogurt - 200ml Greek yogurt or natural yogurt, to serve
- cucumber - 20cm piece cucumber, chopped into small chunks
- shallot - 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- garlic-clove - 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- coriander - small pack coriander
- parsley - small pack flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked
- oregano - 2 tsp dried oregano
- olive-oil - 4 tbsp olive oil
- red-wine-vinegar - 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- red-chilli - 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- wooden-skewer - 6 large or 12 small metal or pre-soaked wooden skewer
- First, make the chimichurri base. Put the shallot in a mini food processor with the garlic, herbs and oil. Pulse until finely chopped but still with some texture - like a chunky pesto. Put 1 1/2 tbsp in a small bowl and set aside. Mix the red wine vinegar, chilli and 1 tbsp water into the remaining mixture and season. Chill until assembling.
- Stir the cumin seeds and lime juice into the reserved 1 1/2 tbsp chimichurri base, then spoon all over the steak strips in a non-metallic dish. Give everything a good mix to coat, then marinate in the fridge for at least 30 mins, or up to 2 hrs.
- Rinse the rice and put in a saucepan with triple the volume of water. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer gently until cooked. Drain any remaining liquid, then spread on a tray to cool quickly.
- When the rice is almost cool, stir in half the chimichurri sauce with the black beans, shallots, avocado and cucumber.
- Thread the beef onto 6 large or 12 small skewers and heat the grill or a griddle pan to high. Grill for 3-4 mins each side, or griddle for 1-2 mins each side, depending on how well cooked you like your steak. Serve the rice on a platter with the skewers, lime wedges, yogurt mixed with lime zest and black pepper, and the remaining chimichurri.
Summer salad recipe for 6 people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has cumin seed, lime, sirloin steak, long grain rice, black beans, shallot, avocado, greek yogurt, cucumber, shallot, garlic clove, coriander, parsley, oregano, olive oil, red wine vinegar, red chilli and wooden skewer.Add to Favourites