- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 6 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 427
- Fat Content: 19g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 16g
- Sugar Content: 9g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 42g
- Sodium Content: 0.4g
Beef & stout stew
- vegetable-oil - 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- beef - 1 1/2 kg braising beef, cut into 3 1/2 cm pieces
- onion - 4 large onions, thickly sliced
- plain-flour - 3 tbsp plain flour
- stout - 500ml stout
- beef-stock - 800ml beef stock
- thyme-sprigs - 6 thyme sprigs
- chestnut-mushroom - 450g chestnut mushrooms, halved
- parsley - handful parsley, to serve
- Heat oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3. Put a large non-stick, flameproofcasserole dishon a high heat and add 1 tbsp oil. Season the beef and brown in batches until well coloured on both sides, making sure you don't overcrowd the dish. Remove each batch and set aside on a plate.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and lower the heat to medium. Toss in the onions and cook for about 10 mins until softened and golden brown. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1-2 mins.
- Add the stout and stir well to deglaze the pan, scraping up any sticky bits. Return the beef to the pan, pour in the stock and add the thyme. Bring to the boil, then put the lid on and cook for 1 1/2 hrs.
- Add the mushrooms to the casserole, stir well and return to the oven for a further 1 1/2 hrs.
- Season to taste and stir in half the chopped parsley. Scatter over the remaining parsley to finish and serve with mash, if you like.
Winter warmer recipe for 6-8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has vegetable oil, beef, onion, plain flour, stout, beef stock, thyme sprigs, chestnut mushroom and parsley.