- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 2
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 250
- Fat Content: 7g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 34g
- Sugar Content: 23g
- Fiber Content: 12g
- Protein Content: 8g
- Sodium Content: 0.5g
Beetroot & butternut stew
- beetroot - 250g raw beetroot
- butternut-squash - 350g butternut squash, unpeeled
- garlic-clove - 1 garlic clove, grated
- onion - 1 small onion, diced
- cumin-seed - 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- ground-coriander - 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- cardamom-pod - 4 cardamom pods, seeds removed and crushed
- sunflower-oil - 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- green-bean - 100g green beans, topped and cut in half
- chard - 50g chard or spinach, stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- flat-leaf-parsley - small pack flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- brown-rice - brown rice, to serve (optional)
- Peel the beetroot and chop into small pieces. Chop the butternut squash into small pieces. Put them in separate bowls until you need them.
- In a large wide-topped saucepan, fry the garlic, onion, cumin seeds, coriander and cardamom pods in the oil for 2 mins on a medium heat. Add 125ml water along with the beetroot and leave for a further 5 mins until the water has simmered away.
- Add 250ml water, the butternut squash and cinnamon, and leave to simmer on a medium heat for 10 mins. Add 250ml water and leave to simmer for another 10 mins.
- Add 125ml water, the green beans and simmer for another 5 mins until the water has simmered away. Take off the heat and stir in the chard and parsley. Serve by itself or with brown rice for a fuller meal.
Whole foods recipe for 2 people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has beetroot, butternut squash, garlic clove, onion, cumin seed, ground coriander, cardamom pod, sunflower oil, cinnamon, green bean, chard, flat-leaf parsley and brown rice.Add to Favourites