- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 405
- Fat Content: 16g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9g
- Carbohydrate Content: 54g
- Sugar Content: 8g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 10g
- Sodium Content: 1.1g
- buttermilk - 240ml buttermilk
- unsalted-butter - 60g unsalted butter, melted
- vanilla-extract - 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- egg - 1 large egg
- plain-flour - 240g plain flour
- salt - 1/2 tsp salt
- caster-sugar - 1 tbsp caster sugar
- baking-powder - 1/2 tsp baking powder
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- oil - oil, for greasing
- berries - berries, Greek yogurt and a drizzle of honey, streaky bacon and maple syrup, ice cream and chocolate sauce, peanut butter and banana
- Whiskthe buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla together in a large bowl. Separate the egg and whisk the yolk into the buttermilk mixture. Whisk the egg white in a clean bowl until it forms stiff peaks - this will keep your waffles light and fluffy.
- Weigh all the other dry ingredients into abowl. Whisk in the wet ingredients to create a smooth batter then carefully but decisively fold through the egg white - don't worry if you are left with a few small lumps. Cover with cling film and leave the batter to sit for 30 mins, if you have time.
- Lightly oil then heat your waffle maker (or see the tip below). Heat the oven to low, so you can keep each waffle warm while the next one cooks. Pour enough batter for one waffle (about a quarter) into the waffle maker, close the lid and cook until the waffle is golden brown on both sides and will come away from the maker easily, about 2 mins. Repeat with the remaining batter, then top with whatever you fancy.
Christmas brunch recipe for 4 people, takes only 5 mins; recipe has buttermilk, unsalted butter, vanilla extract, egg, plain flour, salt, caster sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, oil and berries.