- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 736
- Fat Content: 44g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10g
- Carbohydrate Content: 45g
- Sugar Content: 1g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 39g
- Sodium Content: 2.2g
Bengali scotch eggs
- egg - 4 large eggs
- lamb-mince - 400g lamb mince
- garlic-clove - 6-8 garlic cloves, crushed
- chilli - 2 bird's eye chillies, finely chopped
- coriander - small handful coriander, roughly chopped
- cumin - 1 tsp ground cumin
- chilli - 1 tsp chilli flakes
- garam-masala - 1 tsp garam masala
- coriander - 1 tsp ground coriander
- vegetable-oil - 4 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for deep-frying
- potato - 1 medium potato, peeled, boiled and mashed with a fork (or 150g leftover mash)
- chutney - chutney, to serve (optional)
- plain-flour - 100g plain flour
- egg - 2 eggs, beaten
- panko-breadcrumbs - 100g panko breadcrumbs, seasoned with salt
- Carefully lower the eggs into a pan of boiling water and set a timer for 6 mins. Remove the eggs from the pan and immediately transfer to a bowl of cold water. Once cooled, carefully peel off the shells.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients for the scotch eggs (except the oil and potato) in abowland add 1 tsp salt. Combine well. Heat the 4 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Add the mince mixture and cook for 3-4 mins until the colour changes to brown, stirring frequently. Add the mashed potato and mix well, then continue to cook for a further 2 mins. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Once cool, divide the mixture into four balls, and flatten them out so they fit around the boiled eggs and they're completely enclosed. Put the flour, egg and breadcrumbs into three shallow bowls. Roll a meat-wrapped egg in the flour first, shake off any excess, then dip into the beaten egg, followed by the breadcrumbs. Set aside and repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Heat a heavy-based pan orwokno more than half-full with the vegetable oil, to 160C or until a cube of bread turns light brown in 40 seconds. Carefully lower the eggs into the pan, cook a couple at a time for 5-6 mins, turning them in the oil until crisp and golden all over. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Serve with your favourite chutney, if you like.
Indian recipe for 4 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has egg, lamb mince, garlic clove, chilli, coriander, cumin, chilli, garam masala, coriander, vegetable oil, potato, chutney, plain flour, egg and panko breadcrumbs.