- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 860
- Fat Content: 42g
- Saturated Fat Content: 25g
- Carbohydrate Content: 88g
- Sugar Content: 9g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 38g
- Sodium Content: 1.92g
Best ever macaroni cheese recipe
- baguette - 50g baguette, cut into small chunks
- butter - 2 tbsp butter, plus 1 tbsp melted
- pasta - 350g spiral or other short pasta
- garlic-clove - 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- mustard - 1 tsp English mustard powder
- plain-flour - 3 tbsp plain flour
- milk - 500ml whole milk
- cheddar - 250g vegetarian mature cheddar, grated
- parmesan - 50g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Spread 50g baguette chunks over abaking sheet, drizzle with 1 tbsp melted butter and season.
- Bake for 6 mins until crisp, then set aside.
- Boil 350g spiral or short pasta for 2 mins less than stated on the pack, then drain. Meanwhile, melt 2 tbsp butter in asaucepan.
- Add 1 clove finely chopped garlic and 1 tsp English mustard powder, cook for 1 min, then stir in 3 tbsp plain flour.
- Cook for 1 min more, then graduallywhiskin 500ml whole milk until you have a lump-free sauce. Simmer for 5 mins, whisking all the time until thickened.
- Take off the heat, then stir in 250g grated mature cheddar and 25g grated parmesan.
- Stir the pasta and some seasoning into the cheesy sauce. Tip into a large ovenproof dish, or 4 individual dishes.
- Scatter over the bread and remaining 25g grated parmesan, then bake for 20 mins until crisp and golden.Can be frozen before baking - defrost thoroughly before cooking.
Veggie pasta bake recipe for 4 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has baguette, butter, pasta, garlic clove, mustard, plain flour, milk, cheddar and parmesan.