- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 6-8 as a side dish
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 400
- Fat Content: 16g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2g
- Carbohydrate Content: 56g
- Sugar Content: 28g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 6g
- Sodium Content: 0.1g
Black & white rice salad with cumin-roasted butternut squash
- butternut-squash - 1 small butternut squash (about 375g/13oz), peeled and cubed
- olive-oil - 1 tbsp olive oil
- cumin-seed - 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- wild-rice - 250g basmati & wild rice
- dried-cranberries - 140g dried cranberries
- pomegranate-seed - 200g pomegranate seeds
- blanched-hazelnut - 100g blanched hazelnuts, toasted and halved
- dill - small pack dill, leaves and stalks finely chopped
- flat-leaf-parsley - small pack flat-leaf parsley, leaves and stalks finely chopped
- red-onion - 1 large red onion, finely diced
- feta - 200g feta, to serve
- orange - zest and juice 1 large unwaxed orange
- clear-honey - 4 tbsp clear honey
- sherry-vinegar - 4-5 tbsp sherry vinegar
- olive-oil - 4 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and line a baking tray with baking parchment. Put the squash on the baking tray, drizzle over the olive oil, scatter on the cumin seeds and season generously - use your hands to ensure each piece is evenly coated with oil and seasoning. Roast for 30-35 mins until the edges are caramelised, then remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Cook the rice for 20-25 mins or according to pack instructions, then strain and rinse well with cold water until all the starch is washed off and the rice is cold. Allow to drain well.
- Put the cranberries, pomegranate seeds, hazelnuts, herbs, onion and rice in a large bowl and mix well. Make the dressing by combining all the ingredients in a bowl with a generous amount of seasoning to taste. Once the squash is completely cool, gently mix it into the bowl of other ingredients. Pour over the dressing, mix well and serve on a large platter with the feta crumbled over the top.
Gluten-free Christmas recipe for 6-8 as a side dish people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has butternut squash, olive oil, cumin seed, wild rice, dried cranberries, pomegranate seed, blanched hazelnut, dill, flat-leaf parsley, red onion, feta, orange, clear honey, sherry vinegar and olive oil.