- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 327
- Fat Content: 16g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10g
- Carbohydrate Content: 44g
- Sugar Content: 23g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Sodium Content: 0.77g
Blackberry & apple loaf
- self-raising-flour - 250g self-raising flour
- butter - 175g butter
- light-muscovado-sugar - 175g light muscovado sugar
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- demerara-sugar - 2 rounded tbsp demerara sugar
- apple - 1 small eating apple, such as Cox's, quartered (not cored or peeled)
- egg - 2 large eggs, beaten
- orange - 1 orange, finely grated zest
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- blackberry - 225g blackberry
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4/fan 160C. Butter and line the bottom of a 1.7 litre loaf tin (see tip below). In a large bowl, rub the flour, butter and muscovado sugar together with your fingers to make fine crumbs. Measure out 5 level tbsp of this mixture into a small bowl for the topping, and mix in to it the cinnamon and demerara sugar. Set aside.
- Coarsely grate the apple down to the core and mix in with the eggs and the zest. Stir the baking powder into the rubbed-in mixture in the large bowl, then quickly and lightly stir in the egg mixture until it drops lightly from the spoon. Don't overmix.
- Gently fold in three quarters of the berries with a metal spoon, trying not to break them up. Spoon into the tin and level. Scatter the rest of the berries on top. Sprinkle over the topping and bake for 1 1/4 -1 hour 20 minutes. Check after 50 minutes and cover loosely with foil if it is browning too much. When done the cake will feel firm, but test with a skewer.
- Leave in the tin for 30 minutes before turning out, then cool on a wire rack. Peel off the paper before cutting. Will keep wrapped in foil or in a tin for up to 2 days.
Kids’ cakes recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has self-raising flour, butter, light muscovado sugar, cinnamon, demerara sugar, apple, egg, orange, baking powder and blackberry.