- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 207
- Fat Content: 12g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 21g
- Sugar Content: 17g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 3g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
Blackberry & apple mallow traybake
- unsalted-butter - 140g unsalted butter, softened, plus a little for greasing
- golden-caster-sugar - 140g golden caster sugar
- egg - 1 egg and 2 yolks, beaten together
- vanilla-extract - 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- self-raising-flour - 100g self-raising flour
- ground-almond - 100g ground almond
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- nutmeg - 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (or 1/2 ground)
- bramley-apple - 1 large Bramley apple, about 200g, peeled and sliced (to give about 140g)
- blackberry - 125g blackberry (avoid 'dessert' blackberries, as they lack bite)
- blackberry - 25g blackberry
- caster-sugar - 100g white caster sugar, plus 1 tsp for the ripple
- egg-white - 2 egg whites
- lemon-juice - 1 tsp lemon juice
- flaked-almond - 1-2 tbsp toasted flaked almond
- icing-sugar - a little icing sugar, to dust (optional)
- First make the blackberry sauce to ripple through the mallow. Put the berries and 1 tsp sugar in a small bowl and cover with cling film. Microwave for 30 secs on High. Alternatively, add 1 tsp water then soften in a pan over a low heat. Mash well until saucy, then leave to cool.
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease and line the base and sides of a 23cm square traybake tin, leaving some overhang. Using electric beaters or a hand whisk, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until very pale and creamy, then beat in the egg and yolks, followed by the vanilla. Mix the flour, almonds, baking powder, nutmeg and a pinch of salt, then fold into the fluffy mix to make a very thick batter.
- Fold in the apple, then spoon into the tin and smooth over the top. Scatter with the blackberries, poke them in just a little, then bake for 45 mins until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. After removing, leave the oven on.
- For the mallow topping, you'll need a large piping bag with a 1cm nozzle, or a food bag with a corner snipped off. Whisk the egg whites, lemon juice and a pinch of salt to stiff peaks. Add the sugar 1 tbsp at a time, whisking well after each spoonful, to make a shiny, stiff meringue. Ripple with the cooled blackberry mix, then spoon into the bag. Pipe 16 evenly spaced, walnut-sized meringues on top of the cake (you'll have some left over), scatter with the toasted almonds, then bake for 10-12 mins until the meringues are just set. Cool in the tin for 30 mins, then remove to a rack to cool completely. Add a dusting of icing sugar, if you like, then cut into squares.
Traybake recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has unsalted butter, golden caster sugar, egg, vanilla extract, self-raising flour, ground almond, baking powder, nutmeg, bramley apple, blackberry, blackberry, caster sugar, egg white, lemon juice, flaked almond and icing sugar.