- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 312
- Fat Content: 14g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 40g
- Sugar Content: 24g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 6g
- Sodium Content: 0.6g
Blueberry Bakewell muffins
- butter - 100g unsalted butter, softened, plus 1 tbsp, melted, for greasing
- golden-caster-sugar - 140g golden caster sugar
- large-egg - 2 large eggs
- natural-yogurt - 140g natural yogurt
- vanilla-extract - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- almond-extract - 1 tsp almond extract
- milk - 2 tbsp milk
- plain-flour - 250g plain flour
- baking-powder - 2 tsp baking powder
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- blueberry - 125g pack blueberries (or use frozen)
- demerara-sugar - 3 tbsp demerara sugar
- ground-cinnamon - 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- flaked-almond - 3 tbsp flaked almonds, roughly chopped
- ground-almond - 2 tbsp ground almonds
- plain-flour - 3 tbsp plain flour
- cold-butter - 1 tbsp cold butter diced
- blueberry-conserve - 12 tsp wild blueberry conserve (I used Felix wild blueberry jam, available from ocado.com)
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases. Put all the topping ingredients, apart from the jam, in a bowl and rub together.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat in for 1 min, then mix in the yogurt, extracts and milk. Combine the flour, baking powder and bicarb in a bowl with 1/4 tsp fine salt, then tip this into the wet ingredients and stir in. Finally, fold in the blueberries and divide the mixture between the muffin cases. Top each muffin with 1 tsp blueberry jam, then scatter over the crumble mixture.
- Bake for 5 mins, then reduce oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and bake for 15-18 mins more until risen and golden, and a cocktail stick inserted in comes out with just jam on it - no wet cake mixture.
- Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then carefully lift out onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container - after a day or two, pop them in the microwave for 10-15 secs on High to freshen up.
Muffin recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has butter, golden caster sugar, large egg, natural yogurt, vanilla extract, almond extract, milk, plain flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, blueberry, demerara sugar, ground cinnamon, flaked almond, ground almond, plain flour, cold butter and blueberry conserve.