- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 642
- Fat Content: 46g
- Saturated Fat Content: 26g
- Carbohydrate Content: 50g
- Sugar Content: 32g
- Fiber Content: 0.8g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 0.9g
Boozy coffee & walnut cake
- caster-sugar - 200g caster sugar
- butter - 200g softened butter
- egg - 4 eggs, beaten
- self-raising-flour - 200g self-raising flour
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- walnut - 15 walnut halves
- instant-coffee - 2 heaped tbsp instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
- mascarpone - 500g pot mascarpone
- light-muscovado-sugar - 85g light muscovado sugar
- tia-maria - 4 tbsp Tia Maria
- walnut - a few toasted walnut halves, for decoration
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line with non-stick baking paper. Toast the walnut halves in the oven for 10 mins. Reserve 10 and chop the rest. Dissolve the instant coffee in 1 tbsp of boiling water, cool and add the basic cake mix (see recipe for Classic Victoria sponge, right), instead of the milk.
- For the filling, beat the mascarpone with the light muscovado sugar and Tia Maria until smooth. Sandwich the cooled cakes with a third of the filling and the chopped walnuts.
- Cover the top and sides of the cake with the rest of the filling and decorate the top with the toasted walnut halves.
Retro cake recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has caster sugar, butter, egg, self-raising flour, baking powder, walnut, instant coffee, mascarpone, light muscovado sugar, tia maria and walnut.