- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 221
- Fat Content: 10g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 29g
- Sugar Content: 21g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 2g
- Sodium Content: 0.08g
- butter - 125g soft unsalted butter
- golden-caster-sugar - 125g golden caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- golden-syrup - 2 tbsp golden syrup
- egg - 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- plain-flour - 250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- cocoa-powder - 50g cocoa powder
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- butter - 150g unsalted butter, softened
- icing-sugar - 360g icing sugar, sifted
- cocoa-powder - 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- pink-food-colouring - pink food colouring
- Beat the butter and sugar together until creamy, then mix in the rest of the ingredients. Add a splash of milk if the mixture looks a bit dry - it should come together as a dough.
- Line three baking sheets, dust lightly with flour, then roll and pat one-third of the dough out to the thickness of a PS1 coin on each. Cover and freeze for 15 mins.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Slide the dough off the trays and put a new piece of parchment on each. Trim the edges of the dough to straighten, then cut into rectangles, roughly 6 x 3cm. Lift each one carefully onto the tray, leaving some space between them as they'll expand. Bourbons usually have a pricked pattern, so use a cocktail stick to do this if you want (not too many or they'll break up). Put the dough back in the freezer if it gets too soft.
- Bake for 8-10 mins, then leave to cool on the sheet as the biscuits will be soft when they're hot. Sprinkle over some sugar.Will keep for a week in an airtight container.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Beat the butter and icing sugar together, then divide the mixture into three. Add the cocoa to one lot, a dot of pink colour to another, and leave the last one plain (add a little more icing sugar if you need to). Spoon each into apiping bagor a sandwich bag with the corner snipped off.
- When the biscuits have cooled completely, pipe the icings onto half of them, then sandwich together with the other halves. Leave to set.
Edible gift recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has butter, golden caster sugar, golden syrup, egg, plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, butter, icing sugar, cocoa powder and pink food colouring.Add to Favourites