- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 283
- Fat Content: 10g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 36g
- Sugar Content: 2g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 11g
- Sodium Content: 0.91g
Boxing Day scones
- plain-flour - 450g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- baking-powder - 2 tsp baking powder
- butter - 50g butter
- wholegrain-mustard - 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- egg - 1 large egg
- milk - 280ml milk, plus extra for glazing
- stilton - 100g stilton, crumbled into chunks
- ham - 100g leftover cooked gammon or ham, chopped into rough cubes
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Put the flour and baking powder in a large bowl and rub in the butter using your fingertips until the mixture looks like fresh breadcrumbs. Mix the mustard, egg and milk together in a jug then pour into the flour mixture along with the Stilton and ham. Knead the dough briefly, you want to make sure all the ingredients are evenly dispersed through the mix but try not to overwork the dough.
- Dust your work surface with flour then shape the dough into a flat disc around 4-5cm thick. Cut out 9 or 10 scones using a 7.5cm fluted cutter then transfer to a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Brush the tops with milk then bake for 12-15 mins or until risen and golden. Serve warm with butter, cheese and pickles.
Scone recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 12 mins; recipe has plain flour, baking powder, butter, wholegrain mustard, egg, milk, stilton and ham.