- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 234
- Fat Content: 9g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 29g
- Sugar Content: 9g
- Fiber Content: 8g
- Protein Content: 5g
- Sodium Content: 0.1g
Braised chestnuts, apples & Brussels sprouts
- unsalted-butter - 50g unsalted butter
- chestnut - 400g raw peeled chestnut (or frozen raw peeled chestnuts, defrosted)
- celery-stick - 1 celery stick, cut into 1cm/ 1/2 in slices
- braeburn-apple - 1 Braeburn apple (about 100g/4oz), skin on, cored and cut into 8 segments
- water - 100ml water (or light chicken stock)
- golden-caster-sugar - 2 tsp golden caster sugar
- lemon-juice - 1 tbsp lemon juice
- brussels-sprout - 400g Brussels sprouts
- Heat the butter in a medium saucepan on a low heat. Add the chestnuts, celery and apple, and cook gently for 4 mins. Pour in the stock, bring to the boil and season with 1 tsp fine sea salt, 2 pinches freshly ground white pepper, the sugar and lemon juice. Cover and cook on a low heat (so that the bubbles are just breaking the surface) for 20-25 mins until soft and melting.
- Meanwhile, blanch the sprouts in boiling salted water for 6 mins, then drain well. Add the sprouts to the chestnut pan, sizzle for 5 mins, then tip into a serving dish.
Christmas side dish recipe for 6 people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has unsalted butter, chestnut, celery stick, braeburn apple, water, golden caster sugar, lemon juice and brussels sprout.