- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 5
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 633
- Fat Content: 25g
- Saturated Fat Content: 11g
- Carbohydrate Content: 57g
- Sugar Content: 6g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 40g
- Sodium Content: 1.4g
Braised rabbit pappardelle
- olive-oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- rabbit - 1 wild rabbit, jointed (ask your butcher to do this for you)
- streaky-bacon - 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- red-onion - 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- carrot - 1 carrot, finely chopped
- garlic-clove - 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- rosemary - 2 rosemary sprigs, leaves picked and chopped
- tomato-puree - 1 tbsp tomato puree
- rose-wine - 150ml white or rose wine
- chicken-stock - 500ml chicken stock
- pappardelle - 500g pappardelle pasta
- orange - zest 1/2 orange
- dijon-mustard - 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- double-cream - 100ml double cream
- flat-leaf-parsley - small bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped, plus a few leaves picked to serve
- parmesan - grated parmesan, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan. When hot, add the rabbit, brown on all sides, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the bacon, onion and carrot to the pan and cook for 10 mins until soft. Add the garlic, rosemary and tomato puree, stir for 1-2 mins, then pour in the wine and chicken stock.
- Return the rabbit to the pan, season, cover with a lid and cook over a low heat for 1 hr until the rabbit is really tender.
- Remove the rabbit from the pan and shred the meat using 2 forks. Be careful to remove all small bones. Meanwhile, increase the heat under the pan and boil the liquid for 5 mins until reduced by half. Add the shredded meat and reduce the heat to low. Cook the pasta in a large pan of salted water following pack instructions. Drain, reserving a little pasta water to thin the sauce if necessary.
- Stir half the orange zest, mustard, cream and parsley into the rabbit sauce. Add the cooked pasta to the pan, toss everything well to coat and heat through for 1-2 mins. Serve in bowls with grated Parmesan, parsley leaves and the remaining orange zest.
Italian recipe for 5 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has olive oil, rabbit, streaky bacon, red onion, carrot, garlic clove, rosemary, tomato purée, rosé wine, chicken stock, pappardelle, orange, dijon mustard, double cream, flat-leaf parsley and parmesan.