- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 395
- Fat Content: 17g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9g
- Carbohydrate Content: 44g
- Sugar Content: 4g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 15g
- Sodium Content: 2.1g
Brummie bacon cakes
- streaky-bacon - 3 rashers streaky bacon (we used smoked)
- self-raising-flour - 225g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- butter - 25g butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- mature-cheddar - 75g mature cheddar, grated
- milk - 150ml milk, plus 2 tbsp extra for glazing
- tomato-ketchup - 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- worcestershire-sauce - 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Heat grill to high and grill the bacon for 10 mins, turning halfway, until crisp. Cool for a few mins. Meanwhile, heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a baking sheet with parchment. Sift the flour and 1/2 tsp salt into a bowl, add the butter, then rub in to the texture of fine breadcrumbs. Cut the bacon into small pieces and add to the bowl with a third of the cheese.
- Mix the milk, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce in a jug. Pour into the bacon mixture, stirring briefly, to make a soft dough. Flour the work surface, turn the dough onto it and shape into an 18cm round. Brush with milk, then cut into 8 wedges with a large knife.
- Arrange the wedges on the baking sheet and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 20-30 mins or until risen and golden brown, and serve warm (or cool on a wire rack, and store in an airtight container). Warm the bacon cakes through in a low oven (140C/120C fan/gas 1) if you've made them in advance.
Hangover recipe for 4 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has streaky bacon, self-raising flour, butter, mature cheddar, milk, tomato ketchup and worcestershire sauce.Add to Favourites