- Prep Time: 55 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Serving: 10
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 659
- Fat Content: 48g
- Saturated Fat Content: 25g
- Carbohydrate Content: 54g
- Sugar Content: 48g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 0.18g
Bûche de Noël
- vegetable-oil - vegetable oil, for greasing
- golden-caster-sugar - 150g golden caster sugar
- egg - 6 large eggs, separated
- dark-chocolate - 250g good-quality dark chocolate
- icing-sugar - icing sugar, for dusting
- double-cream - 400ml double cream, lightly whipped
- raspberry - 150g raspberry, defrosted if frozen
- drambuie - little Drambuie (optional)
- unsalted-butter - 125g unsalted butter, softened
- icing-sugar - 225g golden icing sugar
- cocoa-powder - 25g cocoa powder, sifted
- milk - 1 tbsp milk
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan /gas 7. Line a 23 x 33cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment and oil lightly. Whisk the caster sugar and yolks in a bowl until pale and thick. Melt the chocolate with 4 tbsp cold water in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir in the sugar mix.
- Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks. Stir a spoonful into the chocolate, then fold in remaining using a large metal spoon. Pour batter into tin and bake for 12-14 mins until risen and just firm. Leave in tin until cold.
- Lay a sheet of baking parchment on a board. With one bold movement, turn the cake onto the paper, then lift off the tin. Carefully peel away the lining paper.
- Spread the whipped cream all over the cake, then scatter over the berries with a dribble of Drambuie, if you like. Starting at the long side opposite you, use the paper to roll the cake towards you. Transfer to a serving dish.
- For the buttercream, beat the butter, then sift in sugar and cocoa. Add milk and mix together. Spread over cake, use a fork to create a log effect, and chill until needed. Decorate, dust with icing sugar and serve.
Good Food magazine Christmas recipe for 10 people, takes only 14 mins; recipe has vegetable oil, golden caster sugar, egg, dark chocolate, icing sugar, double cream, raspberry, drambuie, unsalted butter, icing sugar, cocoa powder and milk.