- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 316
- Fat Content: 8g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2g
- Carbohydrate Content: 38g
- Sugar Content: 17g
- Fiber Content: 17g
- Protein Content: 15g
- Sodium Content: 2.2g
Burnt aubergine veggie chilli
- aubergine - 1 aubergine
- olive-oil - 1 tbsp olive oil or rapeseed oil
- red-onion - 1 red onion, diced
- carrot - 2 carrots, finely diced
- puy-lentils - 70g Puy lentils or green lentils, rinsed
- red-lentil - 30g red lentils, rinsed
- kidney-bean - 400g can kidney beans
- dark-soy-sauce - 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- chopped-tomatoes - 400g can chopped tomatoes
- dark-chocolate - 20g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- chilli-powder - 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- oregano - 2 tsp dried oregano
- ground-cumin - 2 tsp ground cumin
- sweet-smoked-paprika - 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- coriander - 1 tsp coriander
- cinnamon - 1 tsp cinnamon
- vegetable-stock - 800ml vegetable stock
- lime - 1/2 lime, juiced
- brown-rice - brown rice
- tortilla-chip - tortilla chips, mashed avocado, yogurt or soured cream, grated cheddar, roughly chopped coriander (optional)
- If you have a gas hob, put the aubergine directly onto a lit ring to char completely, turning occasionally with kitchen tongs, until burnt all over. Alternatively, use a barbecue or heat the grill to its highest setting and cook, turning occasionally, until completely blackened (the grill won't give you the same smoky flavour). Set aside to cool on a plate, then peel off the charred skin and remove the stem. Roughly chop the flesh and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the oil, add the onion and carrots with a pinch of salt, and fry over a low-medium heat for 15-20 mins until the carrots have softened.
- Add the aubergine, both types of lentils, the kidney beans with the liquid from the can, soy sauce, tomatoes, chocolate, chilli powder, oregano and the spices. Stir to combine, then pour in the stock. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat to very low. Cover with a lid and cook for 11/2 hrs, checking and stirring every 15-20 mins to prevent it from burning.
- Remove the lid and let the mixture simmer over a low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 15 mins until you get a thick sauce. Stir in the lime juice and taste for seasoning - add more salt if needed. Serve hot over rice with whichever accompaniments you want!
Vegetarian chilli recipe for 4 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has aubergine, olive oil, red onion, carrot, puy lentils, red lentil, kidney bean, dark soy sauce, chopped tomatoes, dark chocolate, chilli powder, oregano, ground cumin, sweet smoked paprika, coriander, cinnamon, vegetable stock, lime, brown rice and tortilla chip.