- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 15 - 20
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 421
- Carbohydrate Content: 59g
- Fat Content: 16g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
- Sugar Content: 50g
Buttered rum Christmas cake
- butter - 225g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- light-muscovado-sugar - 225g light muscovado sugar
- egg - 4 large eggs, beaten
- plain-flour - 225g plain flour
- mixed-spice - 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- orange - zest 1 small orange
- pecan - 85g pecans or walnuts, toasted, then roughly chopped
- apple-juice - 150ml cloudy apple juice
- unsalted-butter - 50g unsalted butter
- maple-syrup - 2 tbsp maple syrup
- dark-rum - 5 tbsp dark rum
- mixed-dried-fruit - 800g mixed dried fruit (the kind that includes mixed peel)
- cranberry - 175g dried cranberries
- dark-rum - 2 tbsp dark rum
- maple-syrup - 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Start with the fruit. Pour the apple juice into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the butter, let it melt, then take off the heat and add the syrup and rum. Put the mixed fruit and cranberries into a large bowl, pour over the hot rum mix, then cover tightly with cling film and leave overnight.
- The next day, heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease and double-line a 20cm round, deep cake tin with non-stick baking parchment. Beat the butter and sugar together until creamy and pale, then gradually beat in the eggs until light and fluffy. If the mix starts to split or look lumpy, add 1 tbsp of the flour and keep beating. Sift in the flour, spices and 1/4 tsp salt, and fold in using a large spoon. Fold in the orange zest, nuts, soaked fruit and soaking liquid.
- Spoon the batter into the tin, level the top, then make a slight dimple in the middle using the back of the spoon. Bake for 1 hr 30 mins, then reduce oven to 140C/120C fan/gas 1 and bake for a further 1 hr 45 mins or until it has risen, is a dark golden colour and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Put the tin on a cooling rack and leave until warm.
- To feed the cake the first time, use a cocktail stick to poke all over the top of the warm cake. Stir together the rum and maple syrup, then slowly spoon over the cake. Cool completely, then remove the baking parchment, wrap loosely in clean baking parchment and store in an airtight tin. Feed the cake every week to 10 days until you decorate it.
- To cover, ice and decorate your cake, see 'goes well with' for instructions on how to make our Midwinter candle cake, Sparkly bauble cake or Sparkling snowfetti cake.
Fruitcake recipe for 15 – 20 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has butter, light muscovado sugar, egg, plain flour, mixed spice, orange, pecan, apple juice, unsalted butter, maple syrup, dark rum, mixed dried fruit, cranberry, dark rum and maple syrup.