- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 370
- Fat Content: 11g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7g
- Carbohydrate Content: 63g
- Sugar Content: 17g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 5g
- Sodium Content: 1.1g
Buttermilk & sultana scones
- self-raising-flour - 450g gluten-free self-raising flour blend, plus extra for sprinkling
- baking-powder - 1 tbsp gluten-free baking powder
- xanthan-gum - 2 tsp xanthan gum
- golden-caster-sugar - 85g golden caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- butter - 100g butter, diced
- sultana - 50g sultana, plumped up in boiling water for 10 mins, then drained
- buttermilk - 284ml pot buttermilk
- milk - 100ml milk, plus extra for brushing
- clotted-cream - butter and jam, or clotted cream and strawberries (optional), to serve
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and lightly flour a large baking sheet. Tip the flour into a large bowl and stir in the baking powder, xanthan gum, sugar and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture with your fingertips until it is completely incorporated, then add the sultanas. Stir the buttermilk and milk together, then pour into the flour mixture. Stir in with the blade of a knife to make a soft dough.
- Tip onto a lightly floured work surface and pat out with your hands until about 4cm thick. Don't knead the mixture as this will make a heavy scone, and if the mixture seems a little too wet, leave for a few mins, as gluten-free flour requires more liquid than wheat flour. Stamp out rounds using a 7cm floured cutter, then place the scones on the baking tray, spaced apart. You will need to lightly squash the dough trimmings together to give you 8-9 scones in total. Brush the tops of the scones with milk, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 10-12 mins until pale golden. Serve with butter and jam, or push the boat out with clotted cream and strawberries, too. Best eaten on the day they are made.
Scone recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has self-raising flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, golden caster sugar, butter, sultana, buttermilk, milk and clotted cream.