- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 2
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 740
- Fat Content: 44g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 59g
- Sugar Content: 17g
- Fiber Content: 17g
- Protein Content: 18g
- Sodium Content: 0.9g
California quinoa & avocado salad
- butternut-squash - 250g butternut squash, chopped into small chunks
- olive-oil - 2 tbsp olive oil or rapeseed oil
- broccoli - 120g pack thin-stemmed broccoli, cut into small pieces
- quinoa - 250g pouch cooked quinoa
- coriander - small handful coriander, leaves picked and chopped
- mint - small handful mint, leaves picked and chopped
- spring-onion - 4 spring onions, finely sliced on an angle
- pomegranate-seed - 50g pomegranate seeds
- pistachio - 20g pistachios, roughly chopped
- avocado - 1 small ripe avocado
- lemon - juice 1/2 lemon
- sprout - handful sprouts (alfalfa or china rose sprouts are nice) or baby herb leaves
- tahini - 1 tbsp tahini
- avocado - 1/2 small ripe avocado, stoned, peeled and roughly chopped
- coriander - small handful coriander, leaves picked
- mint - small handful mint, leaves picked
- lemon - zest and juice 1/2 lemon
- clear-honey - 2 tsp clear honey or maple syrup
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and line a baking tray with parchment. Tip the butternut squash onto the tray, drizzle with 2 tsp oil and season well. Roast for 20 mins, then push the squash to one end of the tray, add the broccoli to the other end and drizzle with 1 tsp oil. Season and roast for 10 mins more.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Put all the ingredients in the small bowl of a food processor, add 1 tbsp water and a pinch of salt. Blitz to make a loose dressing, adding a little more water if necessary.
- Squeeze the pouch of quinoa to separate the grains, then tip into a large bowl. Add the herbs, spring onions, pomegranate seeds and pistachios. Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil, season and toss everything together. Add the roasted veg too.
- Divide the salad between two plates and drizzle over the dressing. Halve the avocado and remove the stone, then slide a dessertspoon between the skin and flesh to remove it in one piece. Place on a chopping board, rounded side up, and thinly slice. Squeeze over the lemon juice, then slide a knife underneath and lift half the avocado onto each salad. Top with the sprouts and grind over a little pepper, if you like.
Vegetarian main course recipe for 2 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has butternut squash, olive oil, broccoli, quinoa, coriander, mint, spring onion, pomegranate seed, pistachio, avocado, lemon, sprout, tahini, avocado, coriander, mint, lemon and clear honey.