- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 540
- Fat Content: 31g
- Saturated Fat Content: 17g
- Carbohydrate Content: 60g
- Sugar Content: 49g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 9g
- Sodium Content: 0.43g
Caramel panettone pud
- golden-caster-sugar - 300g golden caster sugar
- water - 200ml hot water
- panettone - about 175g panettone
- unsalted-butter - about 50g unsalted butter, softened
- golden-caster-sugar - 50g golden caster sugar
- egg - 6 large eggs, well beaten
- milk - 400ml whole milk
- double-cream - 284ml carton double cream, plus more double cream to serve
- To make the caramel, put the sugar and hot water into a small, heavy pan over a low-medium heat. Stir occasionally until the sugar has dissolved then raise the heat and boil, without stirring, until the caramel is golden brown.
- Immediately remove the pan from the heat and quickly pour the caramel into a wide, fairly deep, 1.5 litre/2 3/4 pint ovenproof dish, swirling it around to cover the base. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas 3/fan oven 140C. Cut the panettone into 1cm/ 1/2 in thick slices then remove the dark brown, bottom crust. Butter one side of the slices generously. Put in a single layer, butter-side-up, in the dish.
- Using an electric whisk or food mixer, beat the sugar and eggs in a large bowl for 2 minutes, or until thickened. Heat the milk and cream in a saucepan to just below simmering point, then pour on to the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour this custard over the panettone, pressing the slices into the liquid. Soak for 10 minutes.
- Put the dish on to the middle shelf of the preheated oven, and bake for 55-60 minutes. The pudding is ready when the top is pale gold and dry-looking and the custard set to a just-firm shiver - it should not be completely solid as the custard continues to set as it cools. Leave it to rest for 30 minutes before serving with cream.
Christmas leftovers recipe for 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has golden caster sugar, water, panettone, unsalted butter, golden caster sugar, egg, milk and double cream.