- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 484
- Fat Content: 31g
- Saturated Fat Content: 14g
- Carbohydrate Content: 49g
- Sugar Content: 35g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 5g
- Sodium Content: 0.74g
Caramelised apple & walnut strudel
- golden-granulated-sugar - 100g golden granulated sugar, plus extra
- vanilla-pod - seeds scraped from 1 vanilla pod
- granny-smith - 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- currant - 25g each currant and sultanas
- allspice - 1 tsp ground allspice
- ground-nutmeg - tsp ground nutmeg
- walnut - 85g walnut, chopped
- filo-pastry - 6 large sheets filo pastry
- butter - 50g butter, melted
- creme-fraiche - 200ml tub creme fraiche
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Heat 75g of the sugar and the vanilla seeds in a medium, heavy-based frying pan over a medium-low heat for 5-8 mins, or until golden brown and caramelised. Add the apples, currants, sultanas, allspice, nutmeg and walnuts, then cook for 10 mins or until the apple is tender. Remove the apple mix from the pan with a slotted spoon and cool to room temperature.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Place a sheet of filo on one of the trays, then brush lightly with the melted butter. Sprinkle over 1 tsp sugar. Repeat the process until there are 3 layers of filo. Repeat with the remaining sheets of filo on the second tray.
- Divide the apple mix along the shorter edge of both pastry sheets and gently roll into 2 logs, tucking in the ends as you go. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle over 1 tbsp sugar. Can be made up to 1 day ahead, kept chilled. Bake for 25 mins, or until the pastry is golden brown and crisp. Let cool slightly, then cut each strudel into 6 diagonal slices. Serve two slices each with a dollop of creme fraiche on the side.
Eurovision party recipe for 6 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has golden granulated sugar, vanilla pod, granny smith, currant, allspice, ground nutmeg, walnut, filo pastry, butter and crème fraîche.