- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 202
- Fat Content: 8g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4g
- Carbohydrate Content: 31g
- Sugar Content: 12g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Sodium Content: 0.14g
- bread-flour - 500g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- butter - 85g butter, cut into small pieces
- yeast - 1 x 7g sachet easy-blend dried yeast
- golden-caster-sugar - 50g golden caster sugar
- cardamom - 1 tsp ground cardamom
- milk - 250ml milk
- marzipan - 175g white marzipan, grated
- cardamom - 2 tsp ground cardamom
- butter - 50g butter, melted
- egg - 1 egg, lightly beaten
- sugar-cube - 10 sugar cubes, broken into small pieces
- Tip the flour and 1/2 tsp salt into a food processor fitted with a dough blade. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the yeast, then the sugar and cardamom.
- Warm the milk until it is hand hot, then add to the dry mix to form a soft dough. Process the dough for 2 mins, then leave in the machine to rise for about 1 hr until it springs back when pressed with a finger. Process the dough briefly in the machine, then tip out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper. For the filling, mix the marzipan with the cardamom and butter. Roll out sthe dough to a 50 x 20cm rectangle. Spread the filling over the dough to within 1cm of the edges. Roll up the dough from one long edge. Cut into 20 slices, about 3cm thick, then transfer to the baking sheets, cut sides up. Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise for 30-40 mins until well risen.
- Brush the whirls with beaten egg and sprinkle with broken sugar. Bake for 12-15 mins until risen and golden. Best eaten freshly baked, or freeze on the day of baking for up to a month.
Eurovision party recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has bread flour, butter, yeast, golden caster sugar, cardamom, milk, marzipan, cardamom, butter, egg and sugar cube.