- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serving: 10 - 12
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 241
- Fat Content: 11g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 20g
- Sugar Content: 3g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 14g
- Sodium Content: 1.1g
Cauliflower, chestnut & sage cake
- cauliflower - 1 medium cauliflower (about 500g chopped weight), leaves trimmed and cut into florets
- olive-oil - 1 tbsp olive oil
- butter - 25g butter, plus extra for greasing
- onion - 1 large onion, chopped
- garlic-cloves - 2 fat garlic cloves, chopped
- sage - 1 small pack sage, half the leaves picked, largest ones left whole, remaining, finely chopped
- chestnut - 180g pack cooked chestnuts, 2/3 roughly chopped, the rest halved
- '00'-flour - 100g '00' flour
- polenta - 100g polenta
- baking-powder - 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- parmesan - 150g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- large-egg - 8 large eggs, beaten
- green-salad - green salad, to serve (optional)
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Drop in the cauliflower florets and cook for 10 mins until soft but holding their shape. Drain and allow to steam-dry.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil and butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, then cook for 8 mins until softened and caramelising. Stir in the garlic, chopped sage leaves and chopped chestnuts, and cook for 2 mins or until fragrant. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Grease and line the base of a 23cm springform cake tin with baking parchment. Put the flour, polenta, baking powder and cheese in a large bowl. Whisk in the eggs so that you have a smooth batter, then carefully fold in the cooked onion mixture and cauliflower.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and arrange the remaining sage leaves and chestnuts on top. Bake for 40 mins until golden brown. Serve warm as a main course with a big green salad, if you like.
Vegetarian Christmas recipe for 10 – 12 people, takes only 50 mins; recipe has cauliflower, olive oil, butter, onion, garlic cloves, sage, chestnut, ’00’ flour, polenta, baking powder, parmesan, large egg and green salad.Add to Favourites