- Serving: 6 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 604
- Fat Content: 39g
- Saturated Fat Content: 24g
- Carbohydrate Content: 45g
- Sugar Content: 2g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 15g
- Sodium Content: 0.9g
Cheddar cheese & shallot pie with fennel seed pastry
- butter - 140g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- plain-flour - 375g plain flour
- mustard-powder - 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- fennel-seed - 1 tsp fennel seeds
- king-edward-potato - 2 large King Edward potatoes, cut into small cubes
- butter - 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- banana-shallot - 4 large banana shallots, sliced
- spring-onion - 7 spring onions, finely sliced
- egg - 3 medium eggs
- double-cream - 150ml double cream
- thyme-leaf - 1 tsp thyme leaves
- cheddar - 200g strong cheddar, grated
- egg-yolk - 1 egg yolk, beaten
- milk - 1-2 tsp milk
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. First, make the filling. Boil the potatoes in a large pan of salted water for 10-15 mins until a knife is easily inserted but the potatoes still hold their shape.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Slowly sweat the shallots and spring onions with a pinch of salt until softened, stirring occasionally, about 10-12 mins. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, cream, thyme, cheese and some seasoning. Set aside.
- To make the pastry, melt the butter with 100ml water in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Tip the rest of the pastry ingredients and 1 / 2 tsp salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the butter. Stir with a wooden spoon, then bring together with your hands, kneading lightly for a few mins.
- Grease a large 20-26cm pie dish. On a lightly dusted work surface, roll out two-thirds of the pastry big enough to fill the base and sides of your dish. Use the remaining pastry to roll out a lid.
- Add the potato and shallot mixture to the beaten egg filling, and spoon into your pastry case. Cover with the pastry lid and crimp the edges decoratively.
- Finally, beat the egg yolk with the milk and glaze the pie. Poke a couple of small steam holes in the top, chill for 10 mins, then bake in the oven for 40-45 mins.
Pie recipe for 6 – 8 people, takes only 5 mins; recipe has butter, plain flour, mustard powder, fennel seed, king edward potato, butter, banana shallot, spring onion, egg, double cream, thyme leaf, cheddar, egg yolk and milk.Add to Favourites