- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 261
- Fat Content: 12g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7g
- Carbohydrate Content: 32g
- Sugar Content: 2g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 9g
- Sodium Content: 0.9g
Cheddar & sweetcorn scones
- sweetcorn - 2 large sweetcorn cobs (or 250g sweetcorn kernels from a can, drained weight)
- self-raising-flour - 350g self-raising flour
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- english-mustard - 2 tsp English mustard powder
- paprika - 1/4 tsp ground cayenne or paprika, plus extra for sprinkling
- thyme - few thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- unsalted-butter - 50g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- cheddar - 175g cheddar, grated
- milk - 175ml semi-skimmed milk, plus extra for brushing
- lemon - juice 1/2 lemon
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Hold a corn cob at a right angle to the chopping board, then run a sharp knife down the length of the cob, as close to the core as you can get, slicing away the rows of corn. Boil the kernels for 4 mins or until just tender, then drain well.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Mix the flour, baking powder, mustard, cayenne, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp thyme leaves in a large bowl, then rub in the butter until the mix looks like fine crumbs. Tip in most of the cheese and all of the corn. Mix the milk with the lemon juice, then stir into the bowl to make a slightly sticky dough. Don't over-work the dough.
- Tip the dough onto the floured work surface, knead 2-3 times to smooth a little, then divide into 10 balls. Shape each roughly with your hands and put onto a floured baking sheet. Brush each with a little milk, then scatter with a little cheese, cayenne and a few thyme leaves. Bake for 10-12 mins or until the scones are risen, golden and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool on a rack.
Scone recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 12 mins; recipe has sweetcorn, self-raising flour, baking powder, english mustard, paprika, thyme, unsalted butter, cheddar, milk and lemon.