- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serving: a family of 4 (makes 8 pancakes)
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 497
- Fat Content: 29g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16g
- Carbohydrate Content: 34g
- Sugar Content: 6g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 25g
- Sodium Content: 1.9g
Cheese & ham pancake roll-ups
- plain-flour - 140g plain flour
- egg - 2 eggs
- butter - 25g butter, melted plus extra for buttering
- semi-skimmed-milk - 350ml semi-skimmed milk
- vegetable-oil - sunflower or vegetable oil, for frying
- ham - 12 thin slices of ham (125g pack), torn
- spinach - 260g bag spinach, cooked - see tip, below
- cheddar - 140g grated cheddar
- creme-fraiche - 100ml half-fat creme fraiche
- spring-onion - 3 spring onions, sliced (optional)
- breadcrumb - handful dried breadcrumbs
- KIDS the writing in bold is for youADULTS the rest is for you. FOR THE PANCAKESTip in the flour, make a well, crack the eggs in dishes - whisk together.Tip the flour into a mixing bowl and make a well in the middle. Crack the eggs into separate dishes, remove any shell, and add to the flour. Tip in the butter, add a little milk and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the rest of the milk.Whisk in the rest of the milk, in a steady stream, until you have a smooth batter that is similar to the consistency of double cream. Now carefully pour the batter into a jug.
- Wipe the pan with oil and pour in the batter.Using kitchen paper, wipe the pan with a little oil. Place the pan on the stove and heat until hot. Remove from the heat and pour in enough batter to cover the base, swirling it around. Return to the heat for 3 mins until the underside is cooked.
- Now flip the pancake.Take the pan off the heat and, using a spatula, loosen the pancake. Flip the pancake in the air (or simply turn it over with the spatula) and cook the other side. When cooked, put the pancake to one side, then repeat the procedure to cook 7 more pancakes.
- FOR THE ROLL-UPSButter a baking dish, then scatter ham and cheese over pancakes.Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Butter a large baking dish. Now lay a pancake in front of you and scatter over some ham, spinach and cheese (remembering to save 25g of the cheese).
- Roll up the pancakes and put them into the dish.Carefully roll up the pancakes and put them into the buttered dish. Repeat with all the pancakes.
- Make the topping.In a small bowl, mix together the creme fraiche with the remaining cheese and spring onions, if you like.
- Spread the topping, then sprinkle over the breadcrumbs.Spread the topping over the pancakes, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake for about 30 mins until bubbling and golden. Serve with a salad or veg.
Kids’ cooking recipe for a family of 4 (makes 8 pancakes) people, takes only 50 mins; recipe has plain flour, egg, butter, semi-skimmed milk, vegetable oil, ham, spinach, cheddar, crème fraîche, spring onion and breadcrumb.