- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 679
- Fat Content: 38g
- Saturated Fat Content: 15g
- Carbohydrate Content: 62g
- Sugar Content: 2g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 23g
- Sodium Content: 2.7g
Cheese & Marmite pasties
- potato - 500g potato, peeled and grated
- mature-cheddar - 200g mature cheddar (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- breadcrumb - 100g soft breadcrumb
- spring-onion - bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
- egg - 2 eggs
- shortcrust-pastry - 500g pack shortcrust pastry
- flour - a little flour, for dusting
- marmite - 2 tbsp Marmite (or Vegemite)
- Put the grated potato, cheese, breadcrumbs and spring onions into a mixing bowl with 1 egg. Sprinkle over 1 tsp salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Mix together.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to just slightly thicker than a PS1 coin. Use a 16-17cm saucer or bowl to cut out 6 circles of pastry - you may need to re-roll trimmings to get the last one. Warm the Marmite in a small pan or in the microwave with a splash of water so it is a bit runnier, then brush over each circle, leaving a 2-3cm border around each edge.
- Divide the filling between the middles of each circle, then beat remaining egg and brush a little around each border. For each, bring up 2 sides of pastry to meet over the filling, and pinch and crimp to seal into a pasty shape. If eating straight away, transfer pasties to a baking sheet and chill while you heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.Or leave on the tray, wrap well in cling film and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Brush the pasties all over with more egg. Bake for 50 mins-1 hr until golden brown and crisp. Eat warm, or cool, in the next 24 hrs.
Vegetarian picnic recipe for 6 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has potato, mature cheddar, breadcrumb, spring onion, egg, shortcrust pastry, flour and marmite.Add to Favourites