- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 656
- Fat Content: 36g
- Saturated Fat Content: 17g
- Carbohydrate Content: 54g
- Sugar Content: 9g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 28g
- Sodium Content: 1.6g
Cheese & spinach penne with walnut crumble
- penne - 500g pack penne
- leek - 2 large leeks, sliced
- butter - 85g butter
- plain-flour - 85g plain flour
- english-mustard - 2 tsp ready-made English mustard
- nutmeg - good grating nutmeg
- milk - 1l milk, plus a bit extra
- mature-cheddar - 350g pack mature cheddar, grated
- bread - 4 slices French bread, diced
- walnut-piece - 85g walnut piece
- spinach - 400g bag spinach
- If you are eating one of the pasta bakes now, heat oven to 190C/170C fan/ gas 5. Boil the pasta with the leeks for 10 mins, then drain.
- Meanwhile, put the butter, flour, mustard, nutmeg and milk in a large pan with some seasoning. Gently heat, stirring all the time, until bubbling and thickened, then cook for 2 mins more, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and stir in two-thirds of the cheese. Toss the remaining cheese with the bread and walnuts.
- Cook the spinach in the microwave, or pour a kettle of boiling water over it to wilt, then squeeze out the excess water. Stir into the sauce with the pasta, leeks and some seasoning. If necessary, add a little extra milk to loosen. Divide between 2 ovenproof dishes and scatter the bread mixture on top. If eating straight away, bake for 40 mins until golden, or cool to freeze.
Cheap family recipe for 8 people, takes only 55 mins; recipe has penne, leek, butter, plain flour, english mustard, nutmeg, milk, mature cheddar, bread, walnut piece and spinach.