- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 760
- Fat Content: 33g
- Saturated Fat Content: 20g
- Carbohydrate Content: 80g
- Sugar Content: 7g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 32g
- Sodium Content: 1.5g
Cheeseboard macaroni cheese
- pasta - 350g pasta shapes
- butter - 2 tbsp butter
- garlic-clove - 1 garlic clove, crushed
- mustard-powder - 1 tsp mustard powder
- cayenne-pepper - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- plain-flour - 3 tbsp plain flour
- milk - 500ml milk
- cheeses - 250g mix of cheeses you have around (we used Cheshire, cheddar and camembert), plus extra hard cheese for the topping
- Cook the pasta according to pack instructions, drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the garlic and cook for a min until softened, then add the mustard powder and cayenne pepper and cook for 1 min more. Add the flour and stir to make a paste, cooking for about 1 min, until the mix starts to bubble a little. Take off the heat and gradually pour in the milk, whisking with every addition so the sauce doesn't go lumpy. Return to the heat and cook for 5 mins until thickened, then add the cheeses, stir until melted, and fold in the pasta.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Tip the pasta into a baking dish, and top with additional cheese, preferably some hard cheese such as cheddar or parmesan, then bake for 25-30 mins, until golden and bubbling. Allow to cool for 10 mins or so then serve.
Christmas leftovers recipe for 4 people, takes only 50 mins; recipe has pasta, butter, garlic clove, mustard powder, cayenne pepper, plain flour, milk and cheeses.