- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 242
- Fat Content: 15g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8g
- Carbohydrate Content: 27g
- Sugar Content: 14g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 2g
- Sodium Content: 0.21g
Cherry shortbread hearts
- icing-sugar - 100g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- plain-flour - 200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- cornflour - 50g cornflour
- ground-almond - 50g ground almonds
- butter - 250g pack cold butter, cut into cubes
- glace-cherry - 50g glace cherries, finely chopped
- almond - 1/2 tsp almond extract
- jam - 8 tbsp cherry jam, sieved
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Sift the icing sugar, flour and cornflour together into a bowl. Stir in the ground almonds and butter, then rub in the butter until smooth. Stir in the chopped glace cherries and almond extract, and bring together to form a dough.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface, then stamp out biscuits using a heartshaped cutter. Keep re-rolling the trimmings until all the dough is used. Carefully transfer the biscuits to baking trays lined with parchment and bake for just 8-10 mins until just pale golden.
- Using an upturned bottle top or similar, press gently into the centre of each biscuit to make a round indent. Spoon in a little jam and return to the oven for 2 mins. Remove and cool on a wire rack, before dusting with icing sugar to serve.
Valentine’s baking recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has icing sugar, plain flour, cornflour, ground almond, butter, glacé cherry, almond and jam.