- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 2
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 1080
- Fat Content: 48g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 107g
- Sugar Content: 21g
- Fiber Content: 8g
- Protein Content: 50g
- Sodium Content: 3g
Chicken katsu curry burger
- chicken-breast - 2 skinless chicken breasts
- vegetable-oil - vegetable oil or sunflower oil, for frying
- milk - 500ml milk
- garlic-clove - 1 garlic clove, crushed
- shichimi-togarashi - 1 tbsp shichimi togarashi (see tip)
- ketchup - 50ml ketchup
- sesame-oil - 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- soy-sauce - 1 tsp soy sauce
- worcestershire-sauce - 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- honey - 1/2 tbsp runny honey
- lime - juice 1/2 lime
- mustard - 1 tsp hot mustard
- curry-powder - 2 tsp medium curry powder
- mayonnaise - 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- egg - 1 egg
- rice-flour - 100g rice flour
- panko - 60g panko breadcrumbs
- burger-bun - 2 burger buns (preferably brioche)
- iceberg-lettuce - handful shredded iceberg lettuce
- spring-onion - 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- radish - 2 radishes, finely sliced
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the brine with 1 tsp salt. Put the chicken in the brine, cover with cling film and marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hrs.
- To make the mayo, combine all the ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Half an hour before cooking, remove the chicken from the fridge. Crack the egg into a bowl and whisk with 2 tbsp of the brine. Mix the rice flour and panko, and spread out in a layer on a plate. Remove one chicken breast from the brine, shake off the excess, dip into the egg mix, then coat in the panko mix. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the other chicken breast.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer or large, heavy-bottomed saucepan until it reaches 180C, or a piece of bread browns in 30 secs. Fry for 10-12 mins until cooked through. Drain on kitchen paper, then slice each breast into 4-5 pieces.
- Split and toast the buns, then spread with the mayo. Add a layer of lettuce, spring onions and radishes, then top with the chicken and more mayo.
Japanese recipe for 2 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has chicken breast, vegetable oil, milk, garlic clove, shichimi togarashi, ketchup, sesame oil, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, honey, lime, mustard, curry powder, mayonnaise, egg, rice flour, panko, burger bun, iceberg lettuce, spring onion and radish.