- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 2
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 585
- Fat Content: 16g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2g
- Carbohydrate Content: 58g
- Sugar Content: 12g
- Fiber Content: 9g
- Protein Content: 47g
- Sodium Content: 0.3g
Chicken katsu curry
- flaked-almond - 25g flaked almonds
- rapeseed-oil - 1 tsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- chicken-breast - 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 300g/11oz total)
- lime - lime wedges, for squeezing over
- rapeseed-oil - 2 tsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- onion - 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ginger - thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- curry-powder - 2 tsp medium curry powder
- star-anise - 1 star anise
- ground-turmeric - 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- wholemeal-flour - 1 tbsp plain wholemeal flour
- brown-rice - 100g long-grain brown rice
- spring-onion - 2 spring onions, finely sliced (include the green part)
- carrot - 1 medium carrot, peeled into long strips with a vegetable peeler
- cucumber - 1/3 cucumber, peeled into long strips with a vegetable peeler
- chilli - 1 small red chilli, finely chopped (deseeded if you don't like it too hot)
- lime - juice 1/2 lime
- mint-leaf - small handful mint leaves
- coriander - small handful coriander leaves
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Cook the brown rice in plenty of boiling water for 35 mins or until very tender.
- Crush the almonds using a pestle and mortar, or blitz in a food processor until finely chopped, then sprinkle over a plate. Grease a small baking tray with a little of the oil. Brush the chicken on both sides with the remaining oil and season well. Coat the chicken with the nuts and place on the tray. Press any remaining nuts from the plate onto each breast. Bake for 20 mins or until browned and cooked through. Rest for 4-5 mins on the tray, then slice thickly.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat the oil in a medium non-stick saucepan and add the onion, garlic and ginger. Loosely cover the pan and fry gently for 8 mins or until softened and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid for the final 2 mins, and don't let the garlic burn.
- Stir in the curry powder, star anise, turmeric and a good grinding of black pepper. Cook for a few secs more, stirring.Sprinkle over the flour and stir well. Gradually add 400ml water to the pan, stirring constantly.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. If it begins to splutter, cover loosely with a lid. Remove the pan from the heat and blitz the sauce with a stick blender until very smooth. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Keep warm.
- Once the rice is tender, add the spring onions and cook for 1 min more. Drain well, then leave to stand for a few mins while you make the salad. Toss the carrot and cucumber with the chilli, lime juice and herbs.
- Divide the sliced chicken between two plates, pour over the sauce and serve with the rice, salad and lime wedges for squeezing over.
Healthy chicken breast recipe for 2 people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has flaked almond, rapeseed oil, chicken breast, lime, rapeseed oil, onion, garlic clove, ginger, curry powder, star anise, ground turmeric, wholemeal flour, brown rice, spring onion, carrot, cucumber, chilli, lime, mint leaf and coriander.