- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 669
- Fat Content: 40g
- Saturated Fat Content: 21g
- Carbohydrate Content: 43g
- Sugar Content: 0g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 38g
- Sodium Content: 1.34g
Chicken & leek pie
- flour - 175g gluten-free flour
- butter - 85g chilled butter, coarsely grated
- cheddar - 50g mature cheddar, grated
- mustard - 1 tsp coarse grain mustard
- chicken - 500g skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut in chunks
- butter - 25g butter
- sunflower-oil - 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- leek - 2 leeks, thickly sliced
- chicken-stock - 350ml hot chicken stock
- flour - 1 tbsp gluten-free flour
- watercress - 85g watercress, chopped
- creme-fraiche - 4 tbsp creme fraiche
- milk - 1 tbsp milk for glazing
- Mix the flour, a pinch of salt and the butter in a bowl, then stir in the cheese. Blend 2 tbsp cold water with the mustard and stir in. Form into a dough. Wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Fry the chicken in the hot butter and oil for 5 minutes until golden. Add the leeks and fry for 2 -3 minutes until softened. Add the stock, bring to the boil then cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C.Transfer the chicken and leeks to a 1.2 litre pie dish with a slotted spoon - leave the stock in the pan. Make a paste with the flour and 1 tbsp cold water. Thin with 2 tbsp stock then add to the pan and stir on the heat non-stop until thickened. Take off the heat, stir in the watercress and creme fraiche, season and pour over the chicken and leeks. Cool.
- Roll out the pastry between 2 pieces of cling film until just larger than the dish. Remove the top piece of film and lift the pastry onto a rolling pin with the cling film underneath. Lay pastry-side down over the filling. Peel away the film, then trim around the rim. Make a small hole in the centre. Brush the pastry with milk. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
Gluten-free recipe for 4 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has flour, butter, cheddar, mustard, chicken, butter, sunflower oil, leek, chicken stock, flour, watercress, crème fraîche and milk.